Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Last night I watched Lance James's excellent presentation Trojans and Botnets and Malware, Oh My!

During the presentation I learned of a sandnet tool called truman being distributed for free by lurhq.com, so I downloaded the tools, when I unpacked the PXE client to my surprise the software looked very familiar. It was my PXE Windows Image Using Linux client that I build and distribute.
I searched through all the documentation for acknowledgement but turned up nothing. So I emailed the 'author' Joe Stewart and he sent a response back pretty quick;

Hey Chas,
Sorry for the oversight - I built my original sandnet system over a year ago, not intending to make it a public project. When I did decide to release it, I cobbled up the various sources on the production machine, but had since deleted and forgotten where I obtained the original ramdisk image that I built on top of. I'll make sure you get credited on the website and in the distribution for your part.

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH
Senior Security Researcher
LURHQ http://www.lurhq.com/

Well I'm glad its being used. If you wanna check out the sandnet tool kit go grab it from

http://www.lurhq.com/truman/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home